niedziela, 8 stycznia 2012


I recently went through my work and realized my most popular pieces had fairy-tale like qualities to them. Good/Bad?


I don't really know what to think about that. It's makes me wonder if I'm successfully portraying the deep and dark concepts I'm most passionate about. How dark and intense can a fairytale be?


Above you can see some of my most popular flickr pieces. They all have fairy-tale like qualities to them. Some more than others, but nevertheless I think you could imagine them coming from a storybook. All pictures, excluding the last one on the far right, have extremely deep concepts.
These concepts ranging from suicide, death, depression, losing a battle.

You can say I'm slightly concerned my photography may not be perceived as I'd like it to be perceived by my audience. Indeed, I do like the fairytale like look of some of my images, but I truly understand the concepts behind them. I do believe in deconstructing the typical fairytale and turning it into something dark, uncomfortable. However, do my audience realize that? Are my deep concepts masked by the intruiging delicate nature of fairytale images?

I've been kind of irked by the thought of my work being misunderstood to the point where there was a huge gap inbetween my knowledge of my work, and my audiences knowledge of my work. The thing that bothered me most is that I don't want to change my way of presenting my concepts, because I really enjoying 'confusing' and intruiging my viewers at the same time. It's like two parts of my mind were tugging at each other (like always). Is it worth it to stick to my artistic voice even though I have been noticing people misunderstanding my work? And this is not only on flickr. In 'real life' I only, I repeat...only, get positive feedback when my work is less dark visually. My concepts I must admit, are all equally as dark and deep, though sometimes I feel the need to portray them in a lighter way for whatever reasons. It's hard to describe why exactly I do that :) But every artist does it if you think about it. The fact that I get positive responses only when my work is lighter pretty much mean people are made less uncomfortable by the concepts I am portraying. I guess they don't believe they are as dark, or as I said, the soft tones and pretty locations mask the darkness of my concepts.

I guess I can understand why me, lying in a pretty blue fairy-tale like dress, surrounded by loads of green, can be mistaken as something lighter than suicide. 

I guess I'm working on convincing myself that conceptual art is something very...difficult, let's say. Everyone looks at your art differently and will have different opinions. It's not like a landscape artist capturing a picture of a lake and sharing it. There can't be much variety in opinions when it comes to receiving feedback on the picture. I guess the only way of succeeding is sticking to your own voice, and your own style. It is hard enough to succeed in anything believing in yourself to the fullest, but changing your ways of working because some people are getting confused will slowly ruin you as an artist.

I truly do believe I should stick to who I am, even though my work can be confusing to people not looking too deep into it. I'm going to start writing more about my pictures on my blog as 'picture spoilers' for anyone who is more interested. If they are not, it is their fault they don't understand my work, and not mine.

I do like when a viewer is able to create their own story behind an image, but confusing it as something completely different is not the goal of an artist (or atleast, not mine). 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz